Dental Crowns in Naples
Find Your Smile
A dental crown is a tooth-shaped cap that fits over an individual tooth.
Dental crowns are used in both general dentistry and cosmetic dentistry
to enhance your smile by improving the look of a damaged or discolored
tooth and restoring broken teeth to their original function. Your dentist at
Bayview Dental Arts can provide you with additional information about restoring the look of
a damaged or chipped tooth in Naples using a dental crown.
The Steps to Receive a Crown
A dental crown is a personalized treatment solution that is fitted to your
Naples dentistry needs. Whether you want to improve the appearance of
your teeth or want to restore a tooth that has been affected by damage
or disease, the process to create and apply your crown is the same.
- Prior to receiving a crown, your tooth will need to be reshaped to accommodate
the size and shape of the crown. The tooth will be numbed and excess enamel
removed before your dentist proceeds.
- After the tooth has been shaped, your dentist will take an impression or
digital image to ensure the crown is shaped properly to fit snugly over
- The impression or digital images are then used to design and create your
crown. If your dentist uses CEREC technology to create your crown in-office,
this process can be done during the same visit. Impressions are sent to
an offsite lab, where your crown is created and sent back to your dentist.
- Once your crown is ready, it is permanently cemented onto your tooth to
restore the look of your smile.
Caring for Crowns
Although a tooth that is covered by a crown is protected against decay,
the area where the crown meets your tooth and the gum line are still susceptible
to disease. Furthermore, crowns can become damaged or discolored if not
treated properly, requiring your dentist to replace them. Caring for your
crown properly will ensure your smile continues to look and function its
best throughout the years.
- Continue to care for your teeth by flossing and brushing every day, including
the tooth covered by the crown.
- Avoid chewing ice, popcorn kernels, or non-food items, such as pens. Don’t
use your teeth to open packages or hold and carry items.
- If you play sports, talk to your dentist about using a mouthguard. Individuals
who grind their teeth at night should also wear a guard to protect their
teeth and their crowns from damage.
Bayview Dental Arts offers a variety of restorative dental services, including
veneers and crowns made with CEREC technology.
Contact us today by calling (239) 434-5545 for more information about crowns near Naples.